Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Unhappy Endings

Spoiler Alert.

Even though I finished this book a litte while ago, Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes has stuck with me. I think this is because the two characters you can root for, Josie and Peter, both end up with a happy ending. In most books, the author tries to give you at least a little hope for the characters at the end. But Jodi Picoult did not try to do that. Peter has been bullied all of his life, which led him to shoot 28 people at his high school one day, killing 10 of them. Josie used to be his friend, but ditched him to be popular. Yet there lives will be intertwined forever. That is because Josie shot Peter's last victim, Matt Royston, who was also her boyfriend. In the end, Peter has been sentenced to more years than he will live. Josie has been sentenced for five years for being an accessory to murder. Josie and Peter both got what they deserved. After all, they killed people. So why am I still dwelling on the ending? 

 After reading this book, I noticed some similarities between two other books by her I have read, The Pact, and My Sister's Keeper. Both of them don't have the normal happy endings that books usually have.  But now, I felt almost robbed of my happy endings. Maybe it is because in life, when things go wrong, we need someone to root for. Someone who will screw up completely, yet still make it out okay. So when Peter and Josie both go to jail, it's like a smack in the face.  Why was Jodi Picoult taking this away from the reader?

Because the reality of it is that even if you think Peter doesn't deserve to go to jail, that he was provoked,  he killed 10 people. And even if Josie thought she was making the world a better place by killing Sterling High School's meanest bully, she still killed him. We may do things that we think will make the world better -- and maybe it will -- but we have to think of everyone when we do something rash and and reckless. Would it be nice if Josie and Peter didn't go to jail? Yeah. It would. But life isn't always nice. Sometimes we need that smack in the face. So though part of me wishes Peter and Josie's lives had a different ending, I see why Jodi Picoult had to do this.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you I am a fan of happy endings and I the moment when you're near the end and you feel almost excited for the happy ending awaiting the character. But some stories are not like that and that is how reality is. I sometimes do question the author and ask did the character deserve it? Most time it's just the way things end up life isn't always fair.I have never read the book but I do think you analyzed it well.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so great Marya!!! I too am definitely a happy endings fan. I just feel so sad if there is not a happy ending. I always feel like the book should've ended differently. But I agree with you, its reality. Sure the author could make the endings warm and fuzzy, but it would not be realistic. Great job!!! <3 pia

    ReplyDelete