In Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, Liz travels the world for a year, four months each in Italy, India, and Indonesia. Italy to find pleasure in the world, India to go through a spiritual journey, and Indonesia to find a mixture of the two. Liz needed this because she had been put through so much in such a short time that her current life had become unbearable and she needed to find a way to fix it.
We've all been in that point in life. When something huge happens, and you start freaking out and thinking "I can't go on, I can't go on." Maybe it helps you to have someone else soothe you. But if you're like Liz or I, it only makes it worse. So what are you supposed to do if you're falling apart and the only person left to help is yourself? "You don't have to get over it. You just have to get on with it." Or in other words, you may not have the solution right away, but that doesn't mean you can't get better. Time will heal you, if you let it. Instead, try something different. Totally unrelated to what is making you feel upset and will empty your mind of it. For Liz, that was traveling around the world to find three new parts of her. It doesn't have to be that way for you. Just know that you are always there for yourself, even if it seems like no one is.
I'm not saying that as soon as life gets hard you should go away for a year to escape. Its when you are at a point in your life where nothing has been working and you need to totally rebuild yourself. But that still doesn't mean that this book can't help you with your smaller problems. I think the main point of this book is that when you see that one part of yourself is dying out, try starting something new. Basically, instead of mourning for your losses and trying to clutch on to them, let them go. You'll be so much happier in the end.
Eat,Pray, Love seems like an interesting book! I think that you do have a point that you shouldn't always run away whenever a problem arises, but we can try to get away from something when we are at a loss. I love travel novels so I will probably read this book. I agree with you on the fact that life goes on and time heals everything, so you should let the little things go.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post!
I really liked your post, Marya, and I agree that taking a break from your problems and trying something new is one of the best ways to heal yourself and to mentally recoup after going through major trauma or an extremely difficult time in your life. One of my problems tends to be gritting my teeth and just attempting at getting through my problems without any kind of mental break, which is something I know really can negatively affect me and I now know I should attempt at stopping. Great Post!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post Marya! It seems like a good book. I really enjoyed how you were talking to the readers like you would talk to them in real life. This post had a lot of voice, which i really enjoyed. I agree with your claim. Great post! Sydney
ReplyDeleteMarya this was such a great post! I have never read this book or seen the movie, but I feel like you completely captured the exact purpose of this book. You did a great job analyzing this one quote you had about moving on with your life when things go off track. I loved the question you asked which was, "What can you do when your the only person left to save yourself?" It's such great and thoughtful question, and one that applies in everyones life. It is a question that everyone needs to learn the answer to. Great job!
ReplyDelete<3 Sarah
Marya, this blog post was super thought-provoking and well written! I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but after reading this I really really want to. I really agree that it can seem hard to move on sometimes, but you will get better eventually and you shouldn't let it hold you down forever. This was a really powerful post, I really heard your own voice in it, and overall it was great! <3 Eve
ReplyDelete