Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Honoring or Reliving?

In Israel, almost all High Schools take a trip to one of the concentration camps used durin world war two as a way to commemorate the Holocaust. However, each year there is more and more of a barrier forming between students and their interests/connections to the Holocaust. To add on to that, many Holocaust survivors are dying, making it impossible to hear their story. Observing this, Eli Sagir decided to get a tatto of the numbers her grandfather was given by the Nazis. Soon after, she inspired her brother, mother, uncle, and strangers to do the same.

When I read this story, I was truly inspired. It made me want to search my family history for ancestors who had been tattooed by the Nazis, and tatto their numbers on my arm. My main reason why is that this article has opened up my eyes to what is happening in the world. People are remembering the past less and less and instead looking towards their bright and shiny futures. But tattoos are something that will last forever, thereby remembering forever.

Toward the end of the article, however, I started to get a different vibe from people. After hearing about Eli's decision, there were mixed opinions. Some who had been inked by the Nazies thought of the tattoo as something that suppresses their individuality. One person said "replicating an act that destroyed their name and made them into a number would not be my first or second or third choice,". Others said, “You’re trying to be him and take his suffering," and “God creates the forgetfulness so we can forget"

Even after hearing their argument, I sill do not agree with them. The main reason why is a book called "The Devils Arithmetic". In this book, two characters in the present day were inked by the Nazis. One despises his tattoo, and doesn't like to talk about it. The other, however, embraces it. She even says that there is true meaning behind it (two is for my two brothers, etc.).

So while, I'm not against getting tattoos as a way to remember, I understand why others are against it. It is painful for some to even remember the Holocaust, and having the pain to grow stronger may be unbearable. But on the other hand, people like Eli may feel that it is the only way to stay connected with our past. So I think that everyone is right, and at the same time, everyone is wrong. No one should be able to decide for anyone else what is acceptable based on what they want. So even if you do not agree, you still must respect others opinions, especially on topics as sensitive as the Holocaust.

4 comments:

  1. Marya, this was a really great post because you discussed a really hard subject for many people and made it so interesting. I also like how you included your thoughts throughout the whole article, and how they may have slightly changed through different parts. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing post Marya! I totally understand how someone would want to remember their ancestors, but someone else might think that it is inappropriate due to the circumstances which some individuals try hard to forget. I think it depends on the person and if they are ready to carry that memory around with them for the rest of their life. I loved your thinking!!
    -Pia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful post, Marya! I agree that while getting a tattoo to commemorate your family members lost in the Holocaust sounds like a good way to keep their memory alive, it can be quite a controversial subject. While some may see it as representing their lost family member, others may see it as just considering your lost family member another number in the thousands of lives lost during the Holocaust. our analysis of this article was great, and the way you connected it to you and what you would do if placed in this situation was brilliant. Excellent Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so great, Marya! I read the same article as you, and had the same opinion as well. Although, yours was much better :) I think that the idea of getting this kind of tatoo is exactly what you said, "A way to commemorate your family members." I belive that this tatoo hold so much power, and thought. No one should ever forget the Hullocost, although I do understand where people that say they would not get this tatoo are coming from. Really inspiring thoughts!
    Sarah <3

    ReplyDelete