“ 'He’s something, isn’t he?'
Bob nodded his head. Patrick then said something I don’t
think I’ll ever forget.
'He’s a wallflower.'
And Bob really nodded his head. And the whole room nodded
their head.
'You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you
understand.' "
In the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, the main character Charlie feels infinite for the first time with his two best friends, Sam and Patrick. And, like all other addictive things, after he has some, he just keeps wanting more. I think that feeling infinite is a big step for Charlie. I think this because before he met Sam and Patrick, he spent most of his time at home. By feeling infinite, he proves that he's not scared, little Charlie that does everything his mother says but still is never acknowledged. I think that he proved to everyone that he has a voice that wants to be heard and always had. He just didn't know what to do about it.
There have times in the book when you just have to laugh at how oblivious Charlie is. Other times, it makes you want to cry. And other times, you just don't know what to do. I think that Stephen Chbosky is trying to teach us that even when you're laughing or crying, you don't think about it first. You just do it. And that's what you have to do in your own life. That's what makes you discovered. That's what makes you not a wallflower. Just doing it.
I really liked reading your thoughts about this book. I recently reread it and wrote about it on my blog: http://akindoflibrary.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-art-and-psychology-of-mixed-tapes.html
ReplyDeletegood job so far!