Describe a change in the character. How can it relate to your own life?
I just read a short story called "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" by Ray Bradbury. In the story, Joby is the dummer boy for the army. The army is preparing for a battle that will happen in a day or two. In the beginning of the story, I think that Joby is feeling very scared and nervous. I think this because he is was putting himself down and crying. I also think that since he is the drummer boy, he feels useless, and that he has this sort of immortality that the other soldiers don't have, and he doesn't want. But by the end, he feels more brave and prepared for the upcoming battle. I know this from the line "He swallowed. He wiped his eyes. He cleared his throat. He settled himself." Joby's change takes place in the middle of the story. I think that Joby found his courage and bravery by talking to the general. When the general said "You are the heart of the army", I think that that is when Joby realized that he wasn't useless. I think that the author also used peach blossoms to show change in the story. Peach blossoms are mentioned in the beginning and end of the story. I think they are there to show that the rest of the world is the same from the beginning to end of the story, but Joby has changed.
Like Joby, I have experienced a change in my life. This was the fist day of sixth grade. That morning, I was so scared and nervous. I remember missing summer, and wanting to go back to my elementary school. But by the end of the first week, I'd made new friends, got to know my teachers, and felt better about middle school. I even preferred it to my elementary school. The change that took place was that i felt a sense of welcome, like I belonged.
Looking back, I think that my change isn't very different from Joby's change. I think that the author did this purposely, like the peach blossoms. I think he wanted everyone to be able to relate to this story, even if at first glance it doesn't seem like you could. I also think that he wanted to show that while evreyone's situation may be different, we all overcome change the same way.
No comments:
Post a Comment