Monday, October 1, 2012

Being Brave

I just finished reading "Am I Blue?" by Bruce Coville. In the story, the main character, Vincent, learns that you have to embrace yourself and your differences. But he has to learn that the hard way. He has to be brave, and take that first step. Even though it may be tough, its the only way to overcome your problems. The line "He sighed, and rolled his eyes up to the sky. 'I can't say you didn't warn me.' " shows that no matter what your problem, you have to get through it the same way. The author is trying to say that you have to push through the hard times in life to get to the good times. And even though people may judge you, you'll feel better about yourself in the end.

 "If you live in a world that keeps trying to grind you down, you either start thumbing your nose at it, or end up very, very short. taking back the language is one way to jam up the grind." Bullies fuel off of your misery. When they see it upsets you, they keep going. But if they see you don't care, it'll eventually stop. In order to truly be happy, you have to prove that you don't care what they say. I can also relate to this. I go to a very liberal camp Jewish , but this past summer, I noticed a lot of changes in my group. People started joking about the stereotypes of different people. At first glance, I thought that it was just mean jokes, then I kind of started to get why they did it. but not fully. After reading this, I just understood. They were trying to show that you could make fun of someone, but it won't do them any harm if you are above it. I just realized that they were trying putting all of those people above their stereotypes.

The last thing the author is trying to show is that things will work out over time. But that doesn't mean you can rush into things. I know this from the line " I decided to save it for when I really need it. Maybe when I find the girl of my dreams. Or prince charming. Whichever. That is when Vincent realizes that life will work out for him in the end, even if it isn't at its peak now.  He figures out that time will eventually be on his side. Let fate say when.


No comments:

Post a Comment