Spoiler Alert.
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is about a boy Clay, and his relationship between a girl in his school, Hannah. He liked Hannah, but never really talked to her that much. He later discovers that she committed suicide. And about two weeks after that, he finds out that he is one of the reasons why. Throughout the story, the reader sees how other people's stories have affected Clay, and how Clay is affected by his own story. In the end, Clay comes out scarred, but also better prepared for what life may give him.
In life, we are tested. We have to prove that we can overcome obstacles, no matter how hard they may be. In truth, we will overcome them, even if it takes a while. But at the time, we usually do not know that. So when Clay received this package and listened to the tapes, he was torn apart. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to sit and listen to a dead girls voice talking about how she was abused, and waiting to hear how you played a part in it. And at points, Clay wasn't sure what to do, how to go on. But once he finished the tapes, he must've felt at least a little relieved, because he now knows why Hannah committed suicide, and he knows what to do in the future, even if he can't change the past.
I can relate to this in many ways. The most recent way is the high school application process We are being put through tests, interviews, auditions, and applications. But this is all just to test us on how well we can overcome obstacles. We do have it in us to get into these schools, we just have to push ourselves and show it the right way. That is what Clay has done. And in the end, we will get into a school. And we will be proud of what we've accomplished, if we've done what we're supposed to.
Marya, great post ya got there~
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job in connecting the book to real life. I feel like reading that book. :D
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!MANVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deletehehe 708 forever
Marya, this was so good. I read this book over the summer, and you noticed something I didn't. I never really thought of it as overcoming obstacles, but a snowball affect, like one thing affected the other. But, I think what you noticed was more important to the story. I love how you just taught me a knew thing about this book! Great blog post! <3 Sarah
ReplyDeleteReally amazing post, Marya. I thought your connection from your book to the high-school process was great; all of us feel overwhelmed and buried under all these stressful analyses of our character and intelligence, but in the end, it better prepares us for life. They're all just obstacles, and 20 years from now we'll look back on them and be glad they came our way, much in the way the character Clay in your book will feel after the passage of time. Amazing post!!! <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteMarya, this is an amazing blog post!!! I really liked your extension and just your focus in general. I totally understood what you were saying about how everything will be in place after you overcome one obstacle, and I love your mention of the high school process because I think all of us can totally relate :) this was such a good post!!
ReplyDelete